[ale] Web server OS

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 23:30:00 EST 2008

I'll second the Ubuntu recommendation.  However, if you are truly a total
and complete noob and you like a GUI, then there's nothing wrong with
installing the desktop version rather than the server one.  You can still
get to it via SSH, just like the Server version, but you also have the
option of using VNC or X (I've used Cygwin-X very nicely to have access to
my server and linux aps from a windoze machine) to maintain the server, as
well.

Nothing against any of the other distrubitions out there, but Ubuntu seems
to have a lot of momentum right now, which means that there are plenty of
active forums for answering your questions.  I find most of my solutions by
googling "<topic> ubuntu" rather than "<topic> linux" because it narrows
down the possible answers, which is good for a hack like me.

The desktop suggestion assumes that you're not going to do anything to tax
the machine (basic low-volume wordpress, etc.) and that it's a realtively
modern machine.  If your "new" computer is a Pentium II or something, then
that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Good luck.

Josh Kite