[ale] Which /etc/services to allow for secure web browsing & email ?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Dec 20 15:31:32 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 11:48 -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> My services file has thousands of entries. I assume those
> without # at the beginning are enabled.

	No.  Not correct.  /etc/services is merely a lookup file mapping
service names to well known port numbers and protocols.  It, in and of
itself, doesn't enable anything.  Sort of like what the /etc/hosts file
does for looking up systems.

> What I was thinking was to make a copy of it and edit out almost everything
> or
> possibly better yet,.... create a new minimized one rather than trying to
> digest
> the myriad entries .

> What minimum should remain to permit secure web browsing and email  ?

	Highly recommended that you do not go down this road or every service
that uses getservicebyname() may potentially be broken.  Do not do this.

> What services am I overlooking with this idea that would possibly be a
> mistake  ?

	The file doesn't do what you think it does therefore you don't
understand the function of the file thus making tampering with it a
mistake.

> Appreciatively,

> Courtney

	Mike