[ale] Smoothwall, a dedicated Linux firewall, installation......

Dennis Ruzeski denniruz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 08:48:50 EST 2008

I would say a typical configuration for you would be to set up
smoothwall with it's standard red/green 2 interface config. If you
have enough space enable squid.

Plug the green interface into your hub/switch and the red into your
internet provider's device. I'd recommend using the DHCP on
smoothwall. It will set up your DNS and gateway entries based on what
it gets (via dhcp) from your internet provider.

As far as the wireless router, you'll have to disable the internet
connection and basically use it in access point mode. Make sure you
enable MAC filtering and use WPA or better security. There's WPA
supplicants for most implementations available for linux at this
point. WEP is ok, but I can crack a 128-bit WEP key usually in 7-12
minutes and that means that other people can, too.

That's the basics. although you left alot of variables open in your
email. If this doesn't suit your needs just reply back with more
details.