[ale] Bluescreen on Windows Client thru VirtualBox

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 22:23:22 EST 2008

2008/12/17 Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>

>        :
>
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:43 -0500, Marc Ferguson wrote:
>
> > Ok so, I'm in front of my computer now.  I'm running
> > VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.x86_64.  The error is:
>
> > A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
> > damage to your computer.
>
> > I stopped typing and took a screen shot of the window.  It's attached.
>
>         I'm working from memory here and I don't have any references at
> hand
> but I believe that there are some known problems with Windows and the
> ACPI drivers between the Intel and AMD versions that have shown up like
> his.  By default, both drivers are loaded and, most of the time, it
> works.  Under certain conditions, which seem to be aggravated by
> virtualization, however, the Intel driver (IIRC) running in an AMD
> environment bluescreens.  I remember reading about this in one of the
> VirtualBox forums describing migration (which is not the case here).
> The updated version of VirtualBox may have triggered this.  There are
> some pretty serious differences between the 1.x VirtualBox and the 2.x
> VirtualBox.  You may have to go in and remove a bad driver.  Search the
> virtual box forums for virtual machine migration and you may find
> something.
>
> > --
> > Marc F.
> > www.fergytech.com
> >
> > "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide!"
>
>         Mike
> --
> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 985-6132 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>   /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |
> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>   NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of
> all
>  PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

Well, I ended up doing a REPAIR on my WIndows client and I'm working on
downloading/installing the service packs and getting it back to status quo.
I wish I could spend more time and actually solve it, but the funny thing is
the more I tried to solve the issue the more I got fed up with it.  I
thought to myself, "This is why I'm NOT on a windows system.  Why should I
even care to fix this in a virtual environment."  And for that reason alone,
that's why I love VirtualBox.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.  I'm making my snapshots at every
major hurdle now and they are being saved on my other partition.