[ale] new router

Adam Allred prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 21:04:14 EST 2008

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> Adam Allred wrote:
>> Atnex should be PPPoE...
>>
>> You could call them. I've always had great service from their tech support
>> guys (unlike a certain big business DSL provider that shall remain unnamed),
>> they'll give you technical nitty gritty to help you troubleshoot, and have
>> good knowledge of all the nuances of the different modems they've
>> encountered.
>>
>> I've personally never had to tweak my linksys router to work with Atnex, but
>> I have a friend that uses a westell and a linksys w/ AT&T, and it decides to
>> stop working every once in a while for no reason. I know statically defining
>> the DNS server IPs worked once...
>>
>> Adam
>
> yup, already replied with a SOLVED, and atnex is THE BEST!
>
> it still keeps timing out. I solved that temporarily by streaming audio
> with streamtuner:)
>
> tell me about this statically defined DNS servers..
>> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:
>>
>>> ok, so I broke the antennae on my netgear router, and my wife needs her
>>> wireless. So I went to my local STORE, and purchased a nice new Linksys
>>> Wireless N WRT160N.
>>> my current setup:
>>> Westell modem <bridged mode> Netgear setup with login info-> PCs
>>>
>>> when I try to setup the new Linksys router as ppoe, it fails to connect.
>>> When
>>> I set it up as DHCP, and change the modem back to login/password, my
>>> connection seems to time-out/go-away/die...
>>> SO... for the night, I am leaving my old router in place, so all my
>>> connections work, and I plugged the linksys into the netgear, and setup
>>> wireless for my wife:)
>>>
>>> I tried the wonderful CD that came with it. It takes forever to load up,
>>> and
>>> it goes away/not responding, and I never get to the part where it says to
>>> configure the router.
>>> I am able to get to the router via the web app- 192.168.1.1 , I just don't
>>> see
>>> anything that jumps out at me as being wrong.. I can change the setup from
>>> DHCP to ppoe, l2tp, p2tp.... but ppoe doesn't connect, when I set it up the
>>> same as the netgear, with my login & password... connecting to Atlantic
>>> Nexus
>>> if that matters.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paul Cartwright
>>> Registered Linux user # 367800
>>> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Sorry for delay, gmail refuses to send when I say 'send'.

When you plug your touter into your modem, it performs a DHCP request to
obtain its IP address and DNS server IPs. Statically defining the DNS
IPs makes the router ignore whatever DHCP told it. I don't really know
why it worked, I still had to DHCP to get my IP address...but stranger
things have happened...

Adam