[ale] [OT] Brick Store Pub

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Mon Dec 15 15:28:02 EST 2008

Jim Lynch (ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com) wrote the following on Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 01:54:22PM -0500:
> George Carless wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > Do you have the link to the ratings of pubs on beeradvocate?
> >
> > As a Brit, who therefore comes from somewhere where there's at least one
> > pub in every tiny village, I'm not certain about the "second best in the
> > world" rating, but brick store is indeed a great place (although it's a
> > shame that the food isn't better--their excellent pretzels
> > notwithstanding).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > George
> >
> George, now don't take me wrong, but isn't that a bit like the pot
> calling the kettle black?  I quote Jaques Chirac "One cannot trust
> people whose cuisine is so bad,..." when joking about the food in the
> UK.  ;)  It's the first thing that guy ever said that I agreed with.

I actually think there's plenty of wonderful food in England, although of
course there's an awful lot of crap, too.  But, for one example, to me it's
almost meaningless to say "English food is bad except for the Indian food,"
since the Indian cuisine is such an integral part of English cuisine as a
whole.  And, yes, you're not going to typically find good pizza or fast
food in general, but there're plenty of decent "gastropubs" around.  Also,
I think that a lot of the heart of English food is, like German food, in
the home-cooked meals--the Sunday roasts and the stews and all of that.
England also generally has better cheeses (actually, better dairy products
in general)--and is there anything better in life than a good bag of salty,
vinegary, hand-cut chips?  French fries don't even come close, and nor do
the "chips" that one tends to find here.

Anyhow, not meaning to rant; I just think that English cooking gets a bad
rap.  Now, the dental care, on the other hand...

Cheers,
George