[ale] Fwd: Hard Drive Death Spiral -- AKA Recovery Software?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Dec 11 17:09:02 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 16:06 -0500, H P Ladds wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:
>
> > If you aren't having read errors, all of the 100 MB files
> > would read successfully, and you'd be able to just cat them
> > together.

> ddrescue discovered 8 errors that are 4096 k in 115 gigs of data.

> In concept, I understand your suggestion:

> (A) Break the data into 100 MB chunks.
> (B) Reassembling  the data using a cat.

> I don't know how to break the data into smaller chunks; with dd or
> ddrescue perhaps? Split doesn't seem right. The cat part seems pretty
> straight forward however.

	If you used ddrescue, you do NOT need to proceed with the break into
chunks and reassemble.  Did you let ddrescue run in multipass mode to
try and refine those areas further or did you merely perform a fast
recovery?  It should have created a log that will tell you and it where
the problem areas are and it can go back and retry only those areas it
had not recovered previously.  It can be time consuming but it can
recover a lot over time.