[ale] a specter is haunting our school systems!

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Dec 11 08:51:08 EST 2008

tom wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 18:30, Jim Philips <philips_jim at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>> Maybe this concerned teacher should get a job as a droid for the Business
>>> Software Alliance.
>> The reality is that "concerned" is more likely to be less on that
>> teachers agenda than "making ends meet".  If that teacher made more $,
>> then they would have more time to have a more open mind.   As it is
>> today, teachers can barely make ends meet, so they take all the
>> talking points and assistance they can get.   Free the teachers so
>> they can free your kids' minds. ;-)
>>
> Well, I'm not really going to disagree that strongly, but getting the work
> load down might have a more positive effect. Spend 10 hours a day trying
> to be smarter than a bunch of kids, and you will be too tired to actually
> be learning new tech stuff yourself.

You underestimate the time spent, but it's more accurate then most folks
know.

> Well, that and I'm not entirely sure that many of them would care even if
> they were less stretched. Most of us go through life working on sound
> bites and blinkered minds. After all, it is easier.

If parents would do THEIR JOB, the teachers could focus on teaching.
Instead, the teachers are busy being parent, nurse, psychologist, and
document processor.  What little time is left, they teach.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin