[ale] NewbieQ on OO/Impress for photo slide shows

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 5 14:11:01 EST 2008

Jim -

Thanks for the note. I'd turned up dvd-slideshow on a search against
(IIRC) "slideshow gimp linux". I downloaded the suite and plan to give it
a try.

Meanwhile I moved the output file for my OOo/PP slide show to a partition
with generous space and work is now stable (but still slow).

I tried the OOo 'Export as PDF' (also slow!), and the results were about
50% as large as the original '*.odp'. Viewing with 'Acrobat' is quick and
clean. I rate that a success.

'Save as->Office 2000 PowerPoint' resulted in a file only slightly larger
than the native *.odp. I haven't tried viewing with PowerPoint yet.

I have a lot to learn, but I'm about to declare v-1.0 a reasonably
successful effort and move along. For starters, I'll look into resizing
the images beforehand in some efficient way.

  - Mills