[ale] Geek Gift Ideas for Radio Show Linux Promotion

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Dec 5 00:27:35 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 16:24 -0500, Ned Williams wrote:

> Secondly there is the lack of apps for open moko..yes yes I know you can make your own but the popularity of Ubuntu vs say....slackware has certinally shown that a good percentage of geeks prefer to download rather than compile. Android has the Marketplace, which is currenlt filling up full of free apps...read toys..to play with on it.

OpenMoko is a project that makes phones. The phone currently on sale is
the Neo Freerunner. The Freerunner can run Android. It can run QT
Extended (formerly Qtopia). It can run more conventional linux distros
like Debian, Gentoo, and more.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Distributions

The problem with the Freerunner from my perspective is the poor battery
life. 12 hour max, and problems if it fully discharges? Yikes.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Battery

-Brian