[ale] Geek Gift Ideas for Radio Show Linux Promotion

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:19:44 EST 2008

Oh wow this sounds like the start of a long thread. But heck, it's also a
beeg win for you and the local linux community. Make sure to talk about how
cheap a linux geek's wish list is compared to the average gadget-head.

Hmm. Fun hardware for any self-respecting geek:

*  Linksys WRT54GL wifi router (Make SURE to get the L model!). Throw away
the boring shipped software and put OpenWRT on it. Much networking fun.
* A music player that'll run rockbox ( http://www.rockbox.org/ )
* An OpenMoko Neo phone ( http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page ) The
Android is cute but kind of a loser for real openness -- my understanding is
that you can't actually work with the kernel or anything without hacking it
in one way or another.
* The Viral Computer: a USB memory stick and a Knoppix CD. All you need is
your roomate's/friend's/parent's PC and you're on your way.

Yeah, the N800 and OLPC are also cool but obvious, plus expensive. Arduinos
are really fun but you need to make sure the recipient is into hardware.

Hey, mention some BOOKS!

Cool computer language/library books (Lua! Python! Perl! GNU C! WxWidgets!
)
Linux in a Nutshell (First OReilly book!)
Fun Creative Commons politics books ( Lawrence Lessig, James Boyle, et alia)

Best ideas off the top of me head.

-- CHS