[ale] NewbieQ on OO/Impress for photo slide shows

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Dec 3 09:18:36 EST 2008

Gerffrey, Robert -

Thanks for the pointers.

Yes - well - Impress has been crashing on that big file, but I blamed it
on simple exhaustion of available disk space. Dumping a load of old cruft
from '/tmp' and '/var/log' stabilized things a bit.

I think I'll go one more step with the Impress/PPT approach, reducing the
image size first. I didn't know 'convert' would accept just a '%' arg --
I'll play with that a bit.

I always assume I'm 'hardware challenged', but that Samsung LCD monitor I
bought my SO _is_ an nice one. (SO comment on receipt of the gifts: "You
bought us a new computer, and me a nice display!" I just need them to look
decent on the avarage laptop.

I don't need automatic timing of slide advance, so Impress' 'export as
PDF' option may be a good one for delivery. (I don't expect it to save
space with JPEG files, though -- they're already well compressed.)

Cheers.

  - Mills