[ale] Pros & cons on encrypting disks

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 12:08:50 EST 2008

No _required_ reading that I have found. I've done a bit of google work to
find details and read a bit of the LUKS pages (that's the main process for
keys, I think). If you are doing a fresh install of Fedora9+ or Ubuntu 8+
(use the "special disk"??) it automagically works. F9 will set up LVM with
/boot on a physical and the rest under an encrypted volume. This is good as
/ and swap are encrypted. So if the laptop suspends or hibernates, the drive
key password is required to unlock it plus the user password. You can create
multiple password "slots" that unlock the same partion encryption.

James P. Kinney III