[ale] locale settings

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Aug 29 15:20:28 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 12:46 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> well, after trying kmail & evolution, both failed miserably. evolution
> crashed so much, I wanted to put a string on it and play like a yo-yo.
> kmail wouild play nice setting up IMAP with my domain.
> thunderbird has worked great for all my accounts, including setting up
> most of mine using IMAP, filters, folder account associations...
> enigmail... not sure what your issues were.

Most of my issues surrounded the fact that I needed to have HTML mail
enabled for one account, but not for any other.  Thunderbird would
sometimes get confused, and create plain-text messages in the HTML
account or vice versa.  Can't recall what the bug number is on that one.

Another one, partially related, was Thunderbird not respecting the HTML
account setting for newsgroups.  HTML messages were required in the set
of (private) newsgroups that I was using at the time, for school, and so
that was a problem for me.  This one is Mozilla bug #287854.

I haven't had any crashing issues with Evolution in a rather long time,
not since pre-release Gutsy or so.  Though, I have seen it be somewhat
touchy from time to time, so I can see that there would be potential for
that.  However, it's been the most reliable for me, given my previous
need for a mixed HTML/non-HTML set of accounts.  I have thought about
moving away from it, though, and going to something like 'mutt', since I
do not need anything to do with HTML mail any longer, and I have heard
that 'mutt' has good support for OpenPGP, which would be critical to me.

> > Is there a separate character encoding setting, or does it follow
> the
> > system's settings?  One way to check to be sure is to run the
> program
> > from within a terminal where "locale" shows the settings you want.
> If
> > it isn't honoring your system's settings, that's a bug in the
> software.
>
> I'll give that a try, good idea!

Cool.  Let me know how it goes (I'm somewhat curious).

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.