[ale] locale settings

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 28 13:01:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 06:20 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I have noticed some error messages in email saying it isn't set to
> US.UTF-8, and I always send anyway. is this wrong:

It's not _wrong_, per sé, but it is not the setting I would use.  UTF-8
is a common, agreed-upon standard these days, and every operating system
worth anything knows how to read text encoded that way, so its portable.

You should probably set it up so that it is en_US.UTF-8 so that you
aren't relying on weird encodings for characters outside of the standard
US-ASCII range, and that way people don't have to guess what encoding
you're using.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.