[ale] Top things to know to master Linux?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Aug 26 22:11:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 17:36 -0400, Ed Cashin wrote:
> I suppose a master would have invested time in thoroughly
> learning a mature text editor and a good shell.  More likely,
> and given time, a few text editors (e.g., vi, emacs, ed) and
> good shells (e.g., Bourne shell and bash).  The text editor
> (maybe combined with "make") and shell become the virtual
> body of the admin living in the world of Linux, so pick a good
> body and get lots of exercise!

I definitely agree on shells.  Would also add that looking into zsh may
be a good idea, as well.  It has most (if not all) of the features of
GNU Bash, and a good deal more.  I really like its tab-completion, and
am totally in love with the various types of hooks that it has (for
example, you can enter long-running commands in the terminal, and prior
to the shell spawning for them, zsh can modify the terminal window
title---a real time-saver when you've got five terminal windows open and
want to know the answer to the all-important question "Which one can I
use, or do I need to open a new one?").

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.