[ale] How Do I ...

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Tue Aug 26 16:31:02 EDT 2008

I'm running Fedora 8 on a AMD X2 5600+ with 4-Gig RAM.  I'm also running
Oracle 11g along with some other stuff (Apache, JBoss, etc.).  This
machine is what I like to call my server on a LAN with 5 other machines.
Over time I've gotten at least 6 mail addresses and I would like to
consolidate them into one place. What I would like to do is the following:
Run a mail server by which myself and the other members of my family can
access their mail each it it's own mail box.
Run fetchmail which would read all of our mail accounts in various
locations and then populate the above mail servers input.

I've written and tested a script running fetchmail doing a 'check' to
determine if it in fact can access out multiple mail accounts.  It appears
to work from cron and would pull the mail if I changed the parameters. I
want to leave the mail on my local server so that I can read my mail from
any one of the 6 machines. The questions that come to mind are:

Where can I find instructions to bring up a mail server?
Which mail server is best (ease of use, easy to maintain)?
Will fetchmail populate the input of the mail server or do I need to run
sendmail?
If sendmail is required, where do I find instructions on configuration?
Would this need a back-end database? And if so, would Oracle work?

TIA for your thoughts and consideration,
Gene Poole