[ale] OpenOffice Expertise sought

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Aug 26 15:20:08 EDT 2008

I'm starting a new gig (Yeah!), and promptly ran into a challenge. I'm
using OpenOffice because in theory I can run that between the employer's
MS Word and my own linux systems, and I've run into two places of
ignorance.

First - and probably more crucial for me right now - I need the ability to
put a superscript and subscript one over the other (Its chemisty in case
that helps). I haven't chased down how to do this as an inline graphic or
math formula yet, but I'd really like to be able to just type it straight
off as text. Ideas?? Clues? Tossed Bricks?

Second - I'd like to install OpenOffice.org to a thumb drive such that I
can use it on one of several XP and Vista machines available to me at
work. This might not work if the IT people have properly locked up the
machines, but I figure I might as well find out how to do it. (They have
locked up the network so I cann't ssh home and convert stuff to a word
format there. Clever bastards, but they have students to deal with.)

Thanks in advance.