[ale] converting audio file

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Aug 26 04:10:02 EDT 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008 22:47, Sean wrote:
> I used my wife's Mac laptop to record an audio file. The software recorded
> the file in AIFF/Amiga Audio format.
>
> That's slick.  I think.
>
> But I really would like to convert it to a wav file so I can burn it to a
> CD and send it off to my grandson for his birthday. The only software
> on this box that will play the file is Kaffeine and I can't figure out how
> to make that ap save the file in another format.  If I could change it
> to a wav file, I'd have more options.
>
> Hints would be appreciated.
>
> Sean

SOX command line. is your friend.  Will convert between most
all file formats and will do so based on the file extensions you
provide:

#>  sox  my_audio_fyl.aiff   my_audio_fyl.wav

SOX will also read raw audio data format files and I have
salvaged corrupted recordings by knowing the Sample rate,
number of channels (stereo / mono) and big/little endian
mode of the source.

It can do a whole ton of other mixing and filtering tricks
as well, but the main convenience is for batch converting
full directories between AIF or WAV or MP3

HTH!
peace
aaron