[ale] Online Backup

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Mon Aug 25 15:31:42 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Will S3 let me use rsync in a similar way?  If so, I may look into that.

Nope, not yet.  There are a bunch of "workarounds".... but I haven't
run into one yet that works the way I would think it would.  Here's a
good list of what's available:
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/007641.html

> FYI: I encrypt my data before sending it offsite. I do so by holding
> my backup archive within encfs encrypted folders.  I use the
> unencrypted virtual folders, but rsync out the raw encrypted folders.

I, for one, would like to know more about this.   Can this solution be
automated?  How is the encryption achieved?

Thanks!

-Jim P.