[ale] Viewing file time stamps, and USB raid enclosures

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 07:14:04 EDT 2008

Well, you have advice on the atime, ctime so I'll drop in for the enclosure.
I have not seen a usb encloser with auto-mirror ability. That said, the
capability of that will be OS dependent so you can guess what support will
ship with the device, winders.

However, every USB enclosure is supported (unless it's _really_ weird) in
Linux now so focus instead on other features like cooling. The aluminium
boxes with ribbed exteriors will cool better than a plastic box. But many of
the plastic ones now have fans (noise!). The laptop size drives can be
powered from the USB port while the 3.5" drives will require an external
powerbrick.

The combo-boxes that support USB and eSATA connection are nice as they are
versatile.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Richard Lyon <Ale at gutcup.com> wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> I have two quick questions. How can I view the three time stamps of a
> file (created, changed, modified)? I can't figure it out from the Man
> pages for ls, or find, though I strongly suspect its in the find man
> page, and I'm just being obtuse.
>
> Second, what is a good USB enclosure, which will either mirror two
> drives itself, or has solid linux drivers for setting up a mirror? I'm
> going to get a EEE box computer to use as a playtoy, and part of the
> play is backup.
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard.
> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude]

James P. Kinney III