[ale] Fedora 9 64 bit

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 00:36:47 EDT 2008

No point in 64 bit unless you have more than 4 GB RAM. The PAE kernels will
still work up to 32 GB RAM but they are much less efficient than a full
64-bit kernel.

The secret to firefox is to install the 32-bit version and then the addins
work fine. Java, flash, are 32-bit plugins. mplayer is both 32 or 64 but use
32 for best compatibility.

You can tweak repos to use 32-bit and only certain packages then it's just
yum update.

Be sure to remove the 64-bit firefox.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:

> Thinking of going 64 bit. Is it pretty much ready for primetime? From
> what I've been able to see, it looks like Fedora has the 32 bit on a 64
> bit system issues pretty much resolved, but I keep seeing some issues in
> regards to plug-ins for FF & or T-Bird.

James P. Kinney III