[ale] Sound problems

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Thu Aug 21 19:33:47 EDT 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>
>> Jim Kinney wrote:
>>

> Find an old sound blaster.  You should be able to pick up a used one for
> very little.  I bought a complete working computer with a pci
> soundblaster card for $20.  I had to add a floppy, hard drive and CD/DVD
> drive, but it's still running.  I use the soundblaster in another system
> that Linux could never figure out how to make sound work.
>
> Jim.

Got a CL SB Audigy SE PCI last night at MicroCenter, which by the way
they have 19 left (or did) if anybody needs one. It's the one in Duluth.
The board just worked, NPF I am now listening to Oscar Peterson. Not bad
for a cheapy bd, makes my old cheap amp'd speakers sound good. Building
this system has definitely changed my opinion of Fry's. They just ain't
the same anymore. Their floor people are all just M$ druids that will
push anything out the door just to make a sale. I had originally gone in
there to get a replacement PSU nad MPU chip, thinking that they would
still have some of the last of the Socket A AMD chips. I had looked on
line at MoBo's but forgot to print out what I was looking at. I get
there and of course they don't have any replacement chips that I needed,
so I was trying to remember what board I had picked and all I could
remember was AM2+ and Quiet Cool 2 Technology. They pushed me onto the
Gigabyte swearing up and down that that was the board that I was looking
for and yes it was Linux compatible, and any drivers needed were at
Gigabyte's site. Of course I couldn't check online there, all of their
PCs will only access their site. In the meantime gigabyte support said
that they can only work with me if I'm running M$. I had bought the MoBo
along with an AMD 64 X2 5200 and 4GB RAM. I had to exchange the
processor because about 2 rows of pins were bent. Then the next day I
was exchanging the memory. On the phone they said that I only needed to
bring in one stick, when I got there they said that I needed both
sticks. After I explained to them that I was told by someone on the
phone who said they were with customer service they finally swapped the
one stick. I plugged it in and the system locked in at memory clk of
200MHz as though they were DDR2-400 and not DDR2-800. The next day I
brought back both sticks and at first they wouldn't take them back even
after going through the whole shpile about last night. Then my wife who
came along put in her 2cents that left them bleeding. When they asked if
I wanted to exchange them I said no thanks, give me my money and I'll go
somewhere else. Of course I gave them a piece of my mind also in that I
felt their floor people technical competency was sub par and they
definitely had slid downhill, not the place that I used to love to go
to. By the way MicroCenter has a tech support guy that actually
understands Linux, and does not feel that the only OS around is M$.
Sorry for the rant, and thanks for the help guys.