[ale] Sound problems

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Aug 20 11:36:09 EDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> Unless this is a really new chipset, try an older kernel. Often new
>> sound changes break older chips and then get fixed in a update to the
>> kernel.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net
>> <mailto:hscast at charter.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Does anyone have any idea on a possible fix for the Realtek ALC889A
>>     codec? My current F 9 install apparently must have issues with the
>>     driver(s). The sounds this thing projects are like the sound effects
>>     from a really bad scifi flick from the 50's. What is supposed to be a
>>     click is a ring playing through a fuzzbox on an old stratocaster,
>>     with a
>>     little wow to it. I see lots of posts about related problems with
>>     these
>>     chips, but no solutions. If there ain't no fix, does anyone have any
>>     suggestions for a sound card?  Most of the HCLs that I've dug through
>>     have recent posts of 2006, and I can't seem to find any of those in
>>     todays market.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III

> Nope, it's a fairly new chip. It's aka HDA-nVidia. It may be too soon
> for a linux driver to be available for it. In the mean time I think I
> might get another sound card, do you have any recommendations?

Find an old sound blaster.  You should be able to pick up a used one for
very little.  I bought a complete working computer with a pci
soundblaster card for $20.  I had to add a floppy, hard drive and CD/DVD
drive, but it's still running.  I use the soundblaster in another system
that Linux could never figure out how to make sound work.

Jim.