[ale] Major Hdwe upgrade foils LVM

hscast at charter.net hscast at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 22:30:05 EDT 2008

---- Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> > Which board you got?
> > I've got the Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4
> > I've tried doing a new install onto my 250GB IDE PATA sdb. It hung during the formatting of one of the LVs. Since it seems that 4GB is an issue, I went ahead and removed one 2GB stick and tried it again. It hung at the same point. I was using that as a test before trying it on the existing system. As far as I know all hdwe is supported. Of course the HDDs were already being used. The install even recognized my new USB wireless trackball.
>
> Asus M2NPV-VM.
>
> Memtest errors are a *strong* indication that you have bad RAM. Trying
> to solve any other problems is likely a pointless exercise in
> frustration while this is the case.
>
> This doesn't mean you have to throw the RAM out. If there are only a few
> problem areas you can disable them using memmap [0]. An explanation of
> how to do this is available here [1]; googling memmap "bad ram" should
> turn up more relevant discussion.
>
> [0]
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> [1]
> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.hardware/2007-08/msg00131.html
>
> -Brian
I did finally narrow it down to one 2GB stick. It looks like a stuck bit across the whole stick. It 's the 2nd defective component on this build. I had to exchange the processor due to 2 rows of pins were bent. Now a bad stick. I hope I don't have to bring back both sticks to exchange the one. It still won't boot the original system though, but that may be due to the drastic change of hardware from the old. My test install seems to be going ok now. Up to 50 % done of software part.