[ale] Major Hdwe upgrade foils LVM

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Aug 17 22:20:23 EDT 2008

hscast at charter.net wrote:

>>> The BIOS sees all 4GB and when I boot to Fedora 9 system recovery it reports about 4GB less for whatever.
> Which board you got?
> I've got the Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4
> I've tried doing a new install onto my 250GB IDE PATA sdb. It hung during the formatting of one of the LVs. Since it seems that 4GB is an issue, I went ahead and removed one 2GB stick and tried it again. It hung at the same point. I was using that as a test before trying it on the existing system. As far as I know all hdwe is supported. Of course the HDDs were already being used. The install even recognized my new USB wireless trackball.

Asus M2NPV-VM.

Memtest errors are a *strong* indication that you have bad RAM. Trying
to solve any other problems is likely a pointless exercise in
frustration while this is the case.

This doesn't mean you have to throw the RAM out. If there are only a few
problem areas you can disable them using memmap [0]. An explanation of
how to do this is available here [1]; googling memmap "bad ram" should
turn up more relevant discussion.

[0]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
[1]