[ale] [OT] Date change proposal

Sean drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon Aug 11 20:39:21 EDT 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008 06:14:59 pm Preston Boyington wrote:
> ok, then why not go to a 30 day x 12 month = 360 day year?  a circle is
> 360 degrees, why not our yearly orbit? (yes, i know that our orbit
> around the sun is not circular)

This was the core of the Roman calendar, I believe.  They knew it
wasn't right, so they threw in days after the Winter Solstice to get
the calendar back on track each year.  The period of Saternalia was
this totally unstructured time. Julius Caesar had to go and try to fix
the calendar and wiped out the "days not on the calendar."
Bummer!

Sean