[ale] Looking for advise on domain names and other info wrt local network.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 11 19:14:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 14:09 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 10:28 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > NAT is being proposed for IPv6 in the IETF as a v4 <-> v6 transition
> > mechanism.  It's not being proposed for the same purposes as v4 NAT.
> > There are plenty of free IPv6 /48 networks to pass around.  The ISP's
> > will have no excuse.

> Ahh, I missed that little tidbit---As usual, the huge amount of
> spactacular fuss on the 'net is over some little tidbit of missed
> information that is (conveniently) left out of a lot of writings on the
> subject.

	Couple of references on that...

	NATs necessary for IPv6, says IETF chair
	http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware_and_devices&articleId=9110399&taxonomyId=140&intsrc=kc_feat

> Isn't it ironic that the IETF is developing NAT mechanisms for IPv6
> when IPv6 has been touted for years as a way of ridding the Internet
> of NATs?
>
> Yes. I expect the address translation between IPv4 and IPv6 to be
> deployed at different places in the Internet than we have seen
> strictly IPv4 NAT. Further, the desire is for these NAT devices to be
> needed only during the transition period. That transition will
> certainly not be quick, but when it is over, the need for NAT should
> go away.
>
> Are NATs for IPv6 a necessary evil?
>
> They are necessary for a smooth transition from IPv4 to IPv6 so that
> the important properties of the Internet are preserved.

	IPv6 to Get Much-Maligned Feature
	http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148754/ipv6_to_get_muchmaligned_feature.html

	:

> IETF Chair Russ Housley says NATs are "necessary for a smooth
> transition from IPv4 to IPv6."
>
> Housley says most IETF participants are resigned to the fact that NATs
> are required to translate between IPv4 and IPv6 until all of the
> Internet's hosts and routers support IPv6.
>
> "The engineers and computer scientists that make up the IETF wish that
> the original plan had come to pass. But, of course, it didn't,"
> Housley says. "Given the current situation, the IETF participants are
> seeking a pragmatic solution, and there is rough consensus that this
> is the best way forward."
>
> Housley says the IETF needs to have a NAT-for-IPv6 specification ready
> for deployment in the next year or two. But he's holding out hope that
> someday NATs will be eliminated from the Internet.
>
> "The desire is for these NAT devices to be needed only during the
> transition period," Housley says. "That transition will certainly not
> be quick, but when it is over, the need for NAT should go away."

> That limitation is good to know, and I am still absolutely looking
> forward to having my network be a "real" network.  I would love to be
> able to actually host all of my own network services, because I hate
> relying on others for that, and I'd rather have the only failure be my
> connection, not some random other person's server, etc., etc.
>
> 	--- Mike

	Mike