[ale] OT analog fax on comcast digital

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 13:52:52 EDT 2008

I always though the issue was circuit switch (effectively synchronous) vs
packet switch (most assuredly asynchronous).  think of a fax machine as a
telegraph operator who expects a precise cadenc - 1-0-0-1-1-1-0-1-0 is
logically the same as 1... 001-1-10...1.....0 but to a crotchedy old Western
Union guy getting the latter over IM instead of a dedicated wire is
confusing...