[ale] Looking for advise on domain names and other info wrt local network.

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Aug 11 11:48:08 EDT 2008

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> 	I hope you appreciate the magnitude of the numbers here.  I remember
> someone saying that if all the stars in this galaxy had one planet like
> earth with the same population as the earth and you gave each person a
> cell phone, you'd have enough addresses to give each cell phone a block
> of addresses and still not run out.  I've never run those numbers down
> but a single IPv6 subnet has 4 billion times as many addresses as the
> entire IPv4 internet and each IPv6 network has 65,536 of those subnets.
> There are other limits of scale (like the speed of light) which will
> kick in long before those addresses become a problem.

Another view of these numbers: at some point rather soon we may be
confronted with the issue of how to address many many tiny entities
(nanomachines etc).  The ip6 address space allows for 10^11 addresses
per cubic millimeter of the Earth's biosphere from sea level to 10km;
so assigning an ip6 to each nanite is a possibility. Getting the
nanite overlords of one planet talking to those of another may
require NAT, though.

(Back of the envelope calculation, YAddressCountMV, etc)

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov