[ale] Looking for advise on domain names and other info wrt local network.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Aug 10 10:22:36 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 07:30 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> So what's a good solution for this problem?

Personally, I am waiting for IPv6 so that I can give my network machines
a proper configuration.

The way I'd like to do it is to have each of our machines have email
delivery to it, so that I can have local mail-spools where mail actually
just gets pushed to my machine when someone else sends email in.  When I
send email out, I'd like it to be from <my user account>@<my machine
name> and so forth.  I'd like to also be able to host my own services
this way, so that I can, for example, work on some software and keep a
bzr branch on my system and have it accessible to people that are
interested in the branch(es) I am working on without having to go to the
extra effort of pushing those branches somewhere publicly accessible to
simply get around the fact that I don't have enough IP address space to
go 'round on my network.

The only real problem is that people are kind of freaking out over IPv6
at the moment and trying to introduce some sort of NAT for it.  This
disturbs me a little bit because the Internet was never meant to be
NAT'ed left and right.  It was designed to be a large collection of
machines that are able to communicate with each other.  If NAT is
successfully introduced into IPv6, then ISPs will have little incentive
to give people a routable subnet and then we'll just be stuck with the
same ugly mess as we're in today... that is, having to have non-routable
networks hidden behind a single address, which is really annoying.

So, for the moment, I am using Google's email services for my domain,
and my network uses the TLD "spicerack".  Eventually, I'd like to just
use my domain name for the domain name on this network and have all my
network services run locally on machines here.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.