[ale] Using 'tar' directly to a DVD

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Aug 9 01:40:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 00:38 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> Have you tried packet writing?
>
> http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/packet.html

Yep.  That's how I got to know DVD-RAM.

(Translation:  Packet writing was a horrid waste of my time.  None of
the utilities work with any of the discs I've ever tried, nor any of the
drives.  I always get strange errors and operations take forever.)

While I know very little about internals (I should probably study the
kernel and try to get familiar with the things that are exposed by the
drivers.  I don't know how the Linux CD/DVD/BD driver works compared to
FreeBSD's, though I know that they both have multiple device nodes
exposed for the drive.  I think that FreeBSD permits 'cat'ing, 'tar'ing,
and so forth directly to the raw media in the drive with the character
device that it exposes, though it's been long enough since I've done it
that I can't recall precisely.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.