[ale] Security best practice - Remove or disable user accounts?

Forsaken forsaken at targaryen.us
Thu Aug 7 14:57:44 EDT 2008

The reasons that have already been stated are all good, and I'll add
to it with something that comes from my own experience.

As a web hosting company, we see alot of legacy installs with software
running as a particular user, and it's dependant on their UID, crontab
and such, and the other users have their own UID's instead of
jiggering with the passwd file to give them the same UID. In cases
like that, we can't really remove the user without breaking stuff. So
in those cases, we add some stuff before the password in the shadow
file and make damned sure that the users authorized_keys file has been
blanked. That way none of the users data is lost and we can still su
to the account if needed if needed for anything.

What's really annoying is when the user has access to the phpmyadmin
install and the company uses the same username and password for their
apps that they use to administer the databases.