[ale] Old IBM PC, DBAN, than nothing?!

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Aug 2 22:32:09 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:14 -0400, Jeremy Phillips wrote:
> So i used Derick's Boot and Nuke to wipe a drive. The system beeps
> when starting up DBAN but the wipe runs successfully. Afterward I put
> in Debian's install disk, (proven to be in working condition) the
> system beeps, the CD-ROM spins for a second than stops, and finally I
> see a flashing underscore in the upper left.
[snip]
> Any ideas how this can happen or what I should do?

Is the Debian disc that you used burned?  If so, try copying it, but
when you burn the copy, burn it at 1x.  Some drives refuse to read media
that is burned at faster speeds, though I don't quite understand why.  I
haven't run into one in a long time, but if the drive is old (or flakey)
then it's a possibility.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.