[ale] LPIC Training?

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:01:27 EDT 2008

I have been using the course prep material for LPIC as my means of
learning Linux; and no, I have not found any LPIC prep classses in the
Atlanta area. Man! do I wish there were.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Crawford Rainwater
<crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:

>  Actually, I would not recommend the above text, instead Ross Brunson's Exam Cram LPIC-1 text.  There are some "issues" >within the training realm about the O'Reilly text being a bit "too dated" for the current exams.  Granted, Ross's text came >out earlier, he focused this to be still able to cover thing for quite a while.  And yes, I know Ross personally, but do not >consider a bias since I review LPIC training material for our courses on a regular basis.  Also to note, Ross is still doing >training work with Novell/SuSE these days as well.

Ross Brunson's text has been my primary text over the past couple of
years -- I actually wore one book out and had to buy another. This
book is becoming quite dated however. For example, his book no longer
presents information in the same sequence and organization structure
as the LPIC exam(s). Therefore if you want to study the topics in the
same context as they will be presented on the exam, you must skip
around in text. Also the LPIC now requires a certain amount of
proficiency in both Red Hat and Debian package management systems.
Ross' book states that the user is allowed to pick one of the two
systems for the test, and at the time of the book's writing, that was
true.

Having made these criticisms, his book is superior to others in that
it does not assume that the reader has any understanding of Linux. It
has the objective of teaching the complete newbie how Linux works. The
other texts serve more as a "primer" or "study guide" for those
already somewhat familiar with Linux.

Preston