[ale] low-memory distros?

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sun Apr 27 20:41:16 EDT 2008

Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Afternoon,
>
> On to a new subject... I may inherit my wife's laptop and I'm thinking
> of installing a distro on it to take with me when I travel. The laptop
> is a bit old - 6 years (Sotec 3120X) but it's the perfect size (12" screen
> and 4.4 lbs.). The specs on it look pretty good but It's only got 384 MB
> of memory and some it is used for the GPU (nominally 32MB but
> could be 64MB).  So I've got a couple of questions:
>
> (1) What distro would you recommend that has a window manager
> and OpenOffice? (I can always install Openoffice later).

Personally, I love Slack for low end boxes.

> (2) What wireless PC Card do people recommend that works with
> Linux but doesn't require ndiswrapper?

atheros cards based cards.  I've got two of them:

Airlink 101, model AWLC4030  - picked it up at frys
blitzz bwp 712 - the company has gone out of business.

I actually have swapped these cards in the same laptop and they worked
without reconfiguration.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin