[ale] Yahoo TOS [was: is USB stick safer than CD-ROM/DVD]

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:35:17 EDT 2008

If the clause you quoted were the only part applying, then you are
correct. But read the part I am quoting. You are giving Yahoo! royalty
free license to use your photos for their promotion purposes. Granted,
it is only for as long as you have the pictures hosted on their
servers, but you are still giving them the right to do so.

Your personal album doesn't need to be promoted by Yahoo!. But the
service that lets you create that album does. That is what they will
use the picture for -- to promote Flickr. Not only that, but they can
take your picture and chop it up, invert the colors, paste someone
else into it, or whatever they think they need to do to it to put it
in their promotion.

Their TOS are not as benign as you are making them out to be.

"However, with respect to Content you
submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of
the Service, you grant Yahoo! the following worldwide, royalty-free and
non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:

   1.

      With respect to Content you submit or make available for
inclusion on publicly accessible areas of Yahoo! Groups, the license to
use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly
display such Content on the Service solely for the purposes of providing
and promoting the specific Yahoo! Group to which such Content was
submitted or made available."

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/