[ale] AT&T Extreme

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Apr 24 19:17:39 EDT 2008

Chris,

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 17:40 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I'm doing an upload from a friend who dropped SF and with with AT&T.  He
> kept making jokes that he has 6m down and I only had 3.  I'm trying to
> transfer about 700m from his house to the eDeltaComm

> I'm getting 15.1KB/s

	Wow...  Sounds like you're off by a factor of 4.  My uplink, what you
are really concerned with here, is 512Kb which would translate to about
64KB/s minus general overhead.  I move large stuff (CD's and what not)
up my link to my colo over tunnels (more overhead) and it's within the
ballpark.  Definitely higher than the 384Kb up if it were the 3M
service.  The 6Mb service is only 1/3 faster on the uplink side, even
though it's double on the downlink side.  So you should cap out well
under 48KB while he caps out well under 64KB.  Your figure sounds like
congestion or other problems.  If I was only getting 15KB, some of my
transfers would take all day.

> On my Atlantic Nexus connection I get at least 2x that

	Check your router stats.  Go to the modem (probably 192.168.1.254
unless you've changed it - this is presuming the Westel DSL modem) and
select "Broadband DSL Line" and then "Statistics" in the right side and
then DSL.  Note how many CRC errors you have.  I have almost 2500 CRC
errors on the downlink (and only 28 on the uplink) BUT the modem has
been up for 113 days.  Ok...  Less than 25 CRC errors per day.  That's
for something like 255 million received packets (on the Statistics ->
ATM page).  No high level error packets in or out.  So have him look at
his stats and compare.  If it's not there, it's something downrange.  If
it is there and the errors are abnormally high, call for a technician.

	Mike