[ale] FCC says Comcast lied about traffic shaping

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Thu Apr 24 13:26:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Watson, Keith R.
<krwatson at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> FCC says Comcast lied about traffic shaping

There are (at least) two sides to this...

1) The FCC *needs* to look tough these days as Congress is eyeballing
them.   A new administration is on the horizon, and FCC jobs must be
preserved. ;-)

2) Given that Comcast is a huge, highly distributed, organization.  It
makes sense (to me) that an executive testifying to the FCC in
Washington D.C. probably doesn't really know what the Comcast
engineers in Tulsa or Omaha are really doing or not doing.   It might
just be possible that the intent was there to remove the traffic
shaping, but the grunt engineers hadn't gotten the maintenance/change
approval to actually remove the equipment.

I don't have any specifics on the whole Comcast filtering/shaping
fiasco, but I do have a deep understand of the huge disconnect that
lies between talk-head executives and the rest of us that do real
work. ;-)

-Jim P.