[ale] tool to repair a binary file given a diff between hex dumpsof the original and the altered

timothy at meanor.net timothy at meanor.net
Thu Apr 24 12:02:37 EDT 2008

I used ultraedit a number of years ago to modify some hex files on Windows.  It was a pretty nice tool (haven't used it since then, though).  I think it's free for like 30 days or something like that, so long enough to make the changes you need.  Of course, this may be a bit involved.  Have you looked at sdiff at all?  I don't know that it works well (or at all) on binary files, but might be worth checking out.

-Tim

what tool can I suggest a remote Windows admin to use to 'repair' his binary file given the hex diff below.
Of course, if this 'repair' is too hairy, I'd go down the retransmission route (expensive).

diff meta.od-x tpp.od-x
24,25c24,26
< 0000560 6b92 d311 01fb f7be 402c c959 a125 0ac4
< 0000600
---