[ale] [OT] Re: Sip maturity

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Apr 21 10:31:54 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 10:14 -0400, ale-request at ale.org wrote:
> Short story:  I'd use, if at all possible, large pipes with the
> telephone company if I needed something that was absolutely reliable,
> and then have the internal PBX be VoIP-based.  Setting up your own
> VoIP
> PBX is actually far easier (and can be far cheaper) than using a
> "standard" PBX solution from one of the many companies out there, and
> if
> you have the network under your control, you can ensure that the
> bandwidth is available for the call load that the network will be
> handling.

I agree.

I will say what I believe but the people at Aaug my flame me.

I believe that SIP is perfect in the office for phones and systems.  I
believe that when you want to leave that office then TDM is the way to
go.  Most VoIP PBX systems provide PRI/T1/POTS connections on the PBX.

I have an IAX2 trunk that I like to use for follow me and backup.
Quality can be iffy on that trunk.

If you have a DSL like to your office, forget it!  Like Michal said you
need a fat pipe and a way to guarantee quality for a call center.  On
PRI, shop around.  There are companies around Atlanta that will sell you
PRI lines.  Make sure you get a SLA with that line.

I've been testing a few QoS products for VoIP systems.  I find it
amazing the amount of money that must be spent to "save money".  There
is a market that has appeared based solely on providing solutions to
monitor and guarantee VoIP quality.