[ale] Ubuntu nm-applet

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Apr 20 18:47:04 EDT 2008

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to make the nm-applet NOT ask for a
> password to bring up wireless?
>
> I have a desktop that when rebooted requires interaction from the user
> to start wireless.  I first saw that wireless did not come up unless the
> user logged in.  I setup automatic login in gdm.  I then saw the
> nm-applet prompt.  If I reboot the machine it does not come up on the
> network till I go over to it and type the password.

The answers below are based on my experience with NetworkManager 0.6
Fedora has been making major changes, including adding systemwide
configuration, in 0.7.

Is this a WEP or WPA encrypted network? When the user logs in, is
nm-applet asking the user for the wireless network's encryption key, or
is gnome-keyring asking the user to unlock the keyring?

If it's the former: the encryption key should be stored in gnome's
keyring. Perhaps somehow you denied network manger access to the
keyring? You can see what is  saved in a keyring using the "passwords"
tab of the seahorse program.

If it's the latter: If the user's system password and keyring password
match, libpam-gnome-keyring automatically unlocks the keyring when the
user logs in. if you changed the system password, perhaps the keyring
password wasn't automatically changed and the keyring can no longer be
automatically unlocked. In Ubuntu 8.04, you can change the keyring
password with the "change unlock password" button in
system->preferences->encryption and keyrings.

 > Is it possible to configure a wireless connection just like a wired
 > connection.

You can set up an unencrypted or WEP-encrypted wireless network simply
by modifying /etc/network/interfaces. How to set up WPA will vary by
distribution. Debian Etch integrates it in the interfaces file, but most
distributions probably require a separate wpa_supplicant.conf somewhere.

-Brian