[ale] MS Office new version

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Sat Apr 19 09:15:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 04:30:42PM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> this looks like the ultimate reason to switch to OpenOffice ( and maybe even
> Linux!)
>
> News.com is reporting that Microsoft has confirmed a subscription service is
> in the works for the next consumer version of their Office Suite. "Code-named
> Albany, the product has a single installer that puts Office Home and Student,
> OneCare, as well as a host of Windows Live services, onto a user's PC. As
> long as users keep paying for the subscription, they are entitled to the
> latest versions of the products. Once they stop paying, they lose the right
> to use any version."

> Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Well now it seems that Microsoft is trying to make what's an inevitable
move. Each time they've moved forward with this type of idea, they backed
off once they saw the awful consumer reaction. It'll be interesting.

It brings up a question though. Is there a "OpenOffice.org for Microsoft
Office Dummies" type tutorial out there? I'm not an office software geek.
So when asked "How do you do X?" where X is anything from bulleting to
doing curved fonts with gradient colors, I'm at a loss. A tutorial that
shows how to do activities that are common for M$ Office users in
OpenOffice would be real helpful.

BAJ