[ale] Weird problem with Red Hat EL 5 on MacBook Pro

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Apr 18 16:20:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Geoffrey wrote:
> James Sumners wrote:
>> My only question is why would you install it directly? Did you give
>> VMWare Fusion a try?
>
> Because it is the environment my primary client requires, and vmware is
> another layer I don't want to have to deal with.

Note: re vmware on Laptops..

I've got two decent dual-core HP consumer grade laptops (2gb ram, etc..)
and was running vmware under Ubuntu 7.10 to run MS-Server 2003 w/SQL and
some special apps I was building interfaces to.

I kept overheating both laptops while running VMWare, they'd shut down
after 20-30 minutes from the CPU load, even though things were running
smoothly, systems were responsive, etc.. it was just more constant CPU
load then they could handle.

Am currently running them under Ubuntu Linux on a desktop system..
no problem(s) yet, but I also found running them on an old dual Xeon
just works so much better that I'll not be doing it via VMware player at
all. The communications lag is noticible.