[ale] NFS root Ubuntu live CD

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Apr 14 21:22:05 EDT 2008

I think the directions on the Ubuntu site are toally wrong.  Or missing
a step.

I uncompressed the initrd.gz and looked at scripts/nfs.  Apparently
the problem was that the script is looking for nfsroot:/sbin/init.
Well, there is no such file on the 7.10 LiveCD image.  It is stuck in
the squashfs root image on the CD.

I mounted the squash and tied it to my nfsroot.  The VM complained about
R/O system.  It then copied everything into the nfsroot and it seemed to
work but the NetworkManager was taking down the network interface and
then I would get input/output errors.  I had to add configurations for
the network interface in that directory.

After it came up there was no ubuntu user so that must be created
dynamically when the system detects it is coming from LiveCD.

Eventually I did get a GUI but it was as if I installed Ubuntu in the
VM, copied it to nfsserver:/nfsroot/001 and then done the PXE thing.  It
was NOT live CD like with the option to install to disk.

not sure if anyone has ever tried to do PXE and nfsroot the Ubuntu live
CD.

Chris