[ale] OpenOffice Spreadsheet and Dates

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Apr 13 22:54:08 EDT 2008

Somewhat off topic since OpenOffice is cross-platform, but I'm sure the
list will appreciate a chance to bash Microsoft.

I have a spreadsheet in OpenOffice where I've been entering dates like
5/30/1787. I need to share this spreadsheet with someone using Microsoft
Excel 2003. My problem is that OpenOffice recognizes that a cell in the
format mm/dd/yyyy is a date and treats it differently than if it was
simply text. When I export the document in xls format, OpenOffice
converts 5/30/1787 to -41121. This seems to be the right thing to do
since, according to Microsoft, Excel stores dates as the offset in days
from January 1, 1990. [0] Unfortunately, Excel can not display any date
before January 1, 1990 (i.e. a "negative" date). Thus I would like
OpenOffice to stop converting what I entered and simply save the text
5/30/1787. How can I get it to do this without altering every cell where
I've stored a date?

[0] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180162

Thanks,
Brian