[ale] Hardware recommendation for Proxy

John Burdell john.burdell at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 15:29:35 EDT 2008

I'll probably get a WRT-54GL from newegg.com.  I'm thinking
about getting more than one of these things.  Right now, I have
a Belkin piece of junk wireless router.

Can OpenWRT/DDWRT make the WRT-54GL act in both
client and AP mode?  Suppose I have a WPA wireless network
at home and I want to temporarily give people WiFi without
doing anything to my wireless router.  Can I set the WRT-54GL
so that it is a client of my existing network and I put in the
passphrase, etc. into it and it then broadcasts an open network?

John

Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote: John Burdell wrote:
 > I just put Fedora on an old box and setup port forwarding on
 > my router to let him login via ssh and then he tunnels his traffic
 > so that everything appears to come from my home connection.
 >
 > I would like to continue to let my friend use my home
 >  connection,
 > but was wondering if it was possible to do this using a Linksys
 > WRT-54G?  The old box I'm currently letting him use is old and
 > I think uses a fair amount of power and I'd like to cut down my
 > electric bill as much as possible.

What version of the WRT-54G? If it's version 4 or earlier, you could
install OpenWRT or DDWRT on it. There is "micro" version of DDWRT that
works on some of the later revisions, but it doesn't include ssh.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys/WRT54G

-Brian

http://mail.yahoo.com