[ale] Ethernet

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 09:28:42 EDT 2008

Drop the coax format as you almost can't get NICs for them (that work). The
rule is 100m for the top rated speed per cable type. The exception is 10G.
It is somewhat shorter but I don't have the details.

If a cat5e or cat6 is run longer than 100m, the top speed (1Gbps) will be
lower. It will still work but can cause problems with switch timings, etc.

If you need to make a really long run, fiber is the only option. You can
even pickup fiber transceivers at microcenter now. I don't know if you can
get a roll of fiber and ends and the tools to apply ends.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net> wrote:

> Not so fast - he didn't specify his Ethernet rate (10/100/1000/10000)
> nor his cable (UTP, Thinwire, Thickwire, fiber).
>

> Robert Owen wrote:
> > 100 meters is the max for Cat 5. I don't know if there is any
> > difference for Cat 6.
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Terry Bailey <terry at bitlinx.com
> > <mailto:terry at bitlinx.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     How far from a router can I safely run ethernet?  I have heard all
> >     kinds of answers to this - 25 feet - 100 feet- 300 feet.  I will be
> >     running from a router inside my house to a device  in my garage.
>  The
> >     garage is not attached to the house.
> >
> >     Thanks,
> >
> >     Terry Bailey