[ale] error booting XP after dual boot install of Ubuntu 7.10

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Fri Apr 11 10:38:11 EDT 2008

On 4/11/2008 at 9:02 AM Daniel Howard wrote:

>Summary of advice I've seen for dual boot is:

>	0.  Use separate HD for Linux if possible to leave Win HD completely
>alone.  If only one HD is available, then:
>	1.  Back up all user files, even the ones the user might have put in
>non typical locations.

Unless the system is a completely clean install on both sides, backup all files including the system files.  ;c)  Better yet, create a disk image using a tool that will also allow you to mount that image for individual file restoration.

>	2.  Defrag hard drive

And do so outside the Windows environment if possible, and, if no other outside method is available, do it in safe-mode.

>	3.  Create new partition using Windoze software to resize existing
>Windoze partition.
>	4.  Install Linux

>The good news, is that he's really happy with Ubuntu, and the new
>freedom to get more software has emboldened him to ask me to put a
>speech recognition package (his typing is slow, and to help him out of
>his funk after my mom died, I had him writing down interesting life
>stories) and he also wants me set up Skype for video conferencing with
>my family after he returns to Memphis.  Skype has Linux versions, so I'm
>not worried about that, but Linux speech recognition is not there, so
>I'm going to try my old copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking under Wine
>after seeing web reports of others that got it to work under Ubuntu.
>
>It has really been fun watching my dad change his view about what he can
>do with a computer.  We tried to look up a LUG in Memphis for him and
>their web link is dead, and he said "Maybe I'll start one!"  Now he's
>asking me if I'll help him learn Python!  I've created a monster...

Best wishes to your father.  Keeping him active, engaged, connected, and social is absolutely the best way to go.  My condolences to you and your father also.

In Peace,
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting