[ale] Running firefox remotely

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Apr 11 10:22:12 EDT 2008

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I ran into an interesting thing yesterday.  I guess it has to do with
> Gnome.
>
> I loaded an old box with Ubuntu and I wanted to setup the firefox
> plugins remotely.
>
> #1.  ssh -CX2 cfowler at 192.168.1.112
> #2.  xterm -bg black -fg white
> #3.  firefox
>
> What was strange was that I was expecting firefox to run on the remote
> box and I get the display on my computer.  Instead firefox on my
> computer ran instead!!

Was firefox already running on your local computer? I've had this happen
as well; starting firefox remotely only worked when it wasn't running
locally. I think the inverse happened as well; if I had it running
remotely and tried to open it locally I got another window from the
remote firefox.

-Brian